Chapter 9: The Weight of the Unfinished.
Chapter 9: The Weight of the Unfinished
Location: The Frontier, Indo-China Border Haunting: The Tank Man
The rails didn't just cut through the jungle; they were swallowed by it.
I had taken the last flight to the edge of the map, followed by a journey on a narrow-gauge train that rattled like a bag of bones. The tracks were a relic of the British Army, spaced perfectly to accommodate the tires of a Willys Jeep during the war—a dual-purpose artery bleeding into the heart of the rainforest.
I arrived at the final station in the dead of night. The air was thick, smelling of ozone and rotting vegetation. A battered Willys was waiting, its headlights cutting two yellow tunnels into the pitch black. We drove for two hours, surrounded by a galaxy of fireflies that pulsed in time with the engine.
When the mansion finally loomed out of the mist, situated like a crown on the highest hill, I didn't feel like a stranger. A cold shiver, unrelated to the temperature, walked down my spine. The sprawling colonial architecture, the wrap-around veranda, the specific creak of the timber... I have been here before.
The Pressure
The days were a blur of green. I was responsible for six thousand souls and acres of tea bushes that rolled out like a verdant carpet. The work was exhausting, a physical drain that should have guaranteed dreamless sleep.
But the night had other plans.
Every night, as the jungle chorus began, I would drift off, only to be jerked awake by a suffocating pressure. It wasn't just humidity. It felt physical. Heavy. Like a sack of wet concrete placed directly on my sternum. I couldn't breathe. I couldn't scream. I could only lie there, paralyzed, staring into the dark, feeling a presence that was desperately, terrifyingly heavy.
The Time Slip
On the seventh night, the weight was crushing my ribs. My lungs burned. The darkness seemed to press against my retinas. In that moment of sheer panic, believing I was taking my last breath, I didn't scream for help. I prayed.
God, help me.
The room fractured.
The silence of the night was shattered by the roar of daylight construction. The smell of tea vanished, replaced by the scent of wet cement and iron rust. I wasn't in my bed anymore. I was standing in the shell of this very room, but it was unfinished—a skeleton of brick and mortar.
I saw the date in the atmosphere—forty years ago.
Men were shouting. Ropes strained against pulleys. Above, a massive steel water tank swayed precariously, being hoisted toward the roof.
SNAP.
The cable gave way with the sound of a gunshot. Gravity took over. I watched, helpless, as the tank plummeted. A workman, too slow to move, looked up. There was a sickening crunch, a cloud of dust, and then... a silence louder than the scream.
The Confession
"Sir! Sir!"
The vision snapped shut. I was back in bed, gasping for air, sweat soaking through the sheets. The door burst open. The two night watchmen stood there, flashlights beam-dancing on the walls.
I looked at them, my chest heaving. They didn't look terrified. They looked... amused. A strange, knowing smile played on their lips, a look shared between keepers of a secret.
"Why are you smiling?" I rasped, the terror turning to anger. "I just saw him. The tank. The man."
The smiles vanished instantly. They exchanged a dark look.
"You saw him?" the elder watchman whispered. "Then he has chosen you."
They confessed. The room I slept in was built over the site of a tragedy. Forty years ago, during the mansion's construction, a laborer was crushed by a falling water tank in the backyard. His body was recovered, but his confusion remained. He didn't know he was dead. He only knew the weight of the tank on his chest, and every night, he tried to share that weight with anyone who slept in his room.
The Release
I didn't pack my bags. I didn't run. The fear had evaporated, replaced by a profound sadness. The weight on my chest wasn't an attack; it was a plea.
I lit a small oil lamp. I sat in the center of the room and spoke to the empty air. I acknowledged his pain. I told him the work was done. I told him the tank was gone.
"Go," I whispered, reciting the prayers of liberation. "The burden is lifted. You are free."
The air in the room changed instantly. The oppressive density lifted, replaced by a cool, light breeze that smelled of fresh tea leaves. The heavy presence dissolved like mist in the morning sun.From that night on, the room was just a room. The ghost from the past had finally finished his shift.






Comments
Post a Comment